IVCCD Board re-elects Johnson as President
MARSHALLTOWN – The Iowa Valley Community College District Board of Directors re-elected Larry Johnson of Iowa Falls as its Board President when it met this week in Marshalltown. Paul Pohlson of Grinnell was re-elected as Board Vice President, Barb Jennings was reappointed Board Secretary, and Kathy Pink was reappointed Treasurer.
During recognitions, Chancellor Dr. Chris Duree presented IVCCD’s Ambassador of the Year Award to Terry Buzbee, recently retired President of Emerson Process Management. Duree told the Board that Buzbee was the driving force behind the Marshalltown Education Partnership program and has been serving as chair of the MEP Board. He also was instrumental in forming the Marshalltown Business Education Alliance, which brings community leaders and educators together to improve the Marshalltown education system and build a skilled workforce. “During his time as President of Emerson Process Management, Terry was supportive of building the award winning Machine Operator Training program, and he has been one of the community’s strongest supporters of MCC Athletics and Men’s Basketball,” Duree said. “As anyone who has worked with Terry already knows, he is fully committed to making Marshalltown a better place to live, work, go to school and raise a family.”
The IVCCD Board approved three separate 260F Iowa New Jobs Training Agreements with area employers, each one totaling $20,000. The District will train 17 employees with ASI Signage Innovations in Grinnell in leadership, computer skills, CDL, and technical blueprint reading. The agreement with JBS Swift & Co. of Marshalltown provides industrial maintenance and welding training for eight JBS employees, and the agreement with D&B Agro Systems of Hubbard provides safety and technical training for 31 employees.
In other matters, the Board approved the following:
- A District Hazard Communication Program and a Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Program identifying policies and procedures for handling hazardous materials and bloodborne pathogens on the District’s campuses and in its facilities.
- A two-year Affirmative Action Plan detailing the District’s policies and procedures for complying with state and federal hiring regulations. The plan also provides data on the District’s current workforce and a summary of Affirmative Action accomplishments and recommendations.
- A memorandum of understanding with the Iowa Valley Community College Education Association (faculty union) allowing faculty members to age one year on the salary schedule for the purpose of rank only. The previously approved salary increase of 2.01% for faculty does not change.
- A 2019-2020 farm lease agreement with Steve Thompson of D&T Thompson Farms, who farms just over 100 tillable acres of land owned by and adjacent to Marshalltown Community College. The agreement is for $275 per acre for two years.
- Numerous updated Board policies, including the policy for IVCCD’s voluntary early retirement incentive plan, which remains the same as was offered last year.
- A contract with North Mahaska Community School District to provide calculus classes in Montezuma for North Mahaska High School students.
The Board also accepted the gift of an 11×14 scroll saw flag from Jerry Herold of North Liberty (formerly from Marshall County) depicting the damaged Marshall County Courthouse after the July 19 tornado. The artwork will be displayed in the District Office lobby at 3702 S. Center St. so that it can be viewed and enjoyed by the public.
In his report to the Board, Dr. Duree said that Iowa community colleges will be meeting with legislators about increasing local control over property taxes for the colleges. The community colleges are in need of significant infrastructure repairs and updates to buildings that are 50+ years old, yet state support is not forthcoming for facilities.
The Board will conduct a retreat at 4 pm on Wednesday, Nov. 7, at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (room 610) on the Iowa Valley/MCC campus in Marshalltown. The next regular meeting of the IVCCD Board will be on Wednesday, Nov. 14, at 4 pmin Reg Johnson Hall on the Ellsworth Community College campus in Iowa Falls.
PHOTO CAPTION – IVCCD Chancellor Dr. Chris Duree, Ambassador of the Year Award recipient Terry Buzbee, and Board President Larry Johnson.